Shary, Buzz and Nancy enjoying the game - Photo by Don Schultz
We want to help introduce you to this fun game and incorporate you into our club. We realize how intimidating it can be to just show up at our doubles daily drop in play from 8:00 - 10:00. That is why we put together this website to provide information you can use to get started as well as to improve your game.
We have several experienced players who are willing to work with beginners and show you how to use the Pickleball Tutor ball machine to enable you to practice. Check the bulletin board at the Pickleball courts to learn who our current instructors are. Feel free to give any of them a call from any park phone or come to the courts about 10:00.
If you come down to the courts before 10:00 then head over to the patio seating area and put your paddle in the rack for Courts 1, 2 and 3. Court 4 is for more competitive play so if you are already a skilled player then feel free to head down there and put your paddle in the rack. You can believe us when we say we want you to join us in the fun!
If you have never played before:
- Check the bulletin board at the Pickleball courts to learn who our current instructors are and call one of them to set up some beginning Pickleball lessons.
- To get the most from your first Beginning Pickleball lesson please take the time to read through the information on "Getting Ready to Play" and "Starting a Game". Watching some of the short videos will help as well.
- It would also be helpful for you to begin to learn the "Basic Rules".
- You have a paddle (or you plan to borrow one of ours)
- You have some familiarity with the basic rules of the game
- You know what the court looks like
- You know what the Non Volley Zone (AKA the “Kitchen”) is
- You know how to tell if the ball is "in" or "out"
- You know where to stand
- You know what the ready position is
- You know how to keep score
- You know how to serve the ball
- You know how to return a serve
- You know how to practice these two shots
- You know about getting up to the Kitchen line
- You know about drop shots
- You know about dinking
- You know who takes the middle
- You know about poaching
We look forward to having you join us!
Participants in the December 2015 Jojoba Hills Pickleball Tournament - Photo by Don Schultz